Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What I'm Reading on Wednesday - Modern Quilts Illustrated #1

Modern Quilts Illustrated #1 is the first issue of a new publication from Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr of Modern Quilt Studio (formerly Fun Quilts).  When I responded to a request for "review" bloggers, Weeks sent me a copy, which I received early this week:



My first impression of the magazine is the same as my first impression of Weeks and Bill's other works....high quality, great color, sophisticated, uncluttered, and filled with creative details.

This magazine is distinctly different from most quilting publications, in that it has no advertising.  It is printed on sturdy coated stock, and the photography is lovely.  They give clear, concise directions for three different projects, and the remaining pages describe tips, inspirations, color palette choices, Minkee backing hints, and links to creative documentaries and works in other arts media.
 
The three projects described (two piecing, one a combination of piecing and applique), give straightforward cutting and assembly instructions,  present a variety of colorways, and give manufacturers and SKU codes for the specific fabrics used in the photos.






One of my favorite aspects of their work is their extensive analysis of color, color choices, and color matchings.  Here is an example from the pattern "Stacks" of what I mean:

"The second variation is much more graphic because just three fabrics are used.  Differentiating the structure with tan and green completely transforms the quilt.  To have this color work read clearly, the blue field fabric must contrast well with both the tan and green."  (MQI, p. 4).

Instead of saying "you could use tan and green, too", they provide comparative color analyses that help guide choices.  I truly appreciate writing that both "informs" me and challenges me to analyze and think on my own. 

This may be a "thin" booklet from the number of projects given, but it is bursting with options and opportunities that build on the projects presented.  Weeks and Bill are constantly seeking out suggestions from readers as to what they would like to see in future issues, and I can't wait to see what Issue #2 looks like....it's out now and I need to get a copy.

You can find out more about Weeks and Bill through some of their books:  Transparency Quilts, Quilts Made Modern, through their website at Modern Quilts Studio (formerly Fun Quilts), on Weeks' blog at Craft Nectar, or on their Facebook page.  You can subscribe to the magazine by calling the studio at (708) 445-1817.

I have been following Weeks and Bill's patterns for years in almost all of the major quilt magazines.  It's a joy to hear their "unique voice" in the quilting world  in their new publication. You'll enjoy it, too, I'm sure.

Have a great day,

Kathy

No comments: