Tuesday, April 10, 2012

What I did this weekend........

Well, I meant to get these pictures up yesterday, but life has a way of overtaking good intentions.  I got my "Massanutten Majesties" pieced over the weekend.....I just kept chain-piecing, cutting, and chain-piecing, and hurray!.....I had the rows together.  The light is sort of weird on this....but this blog isn't about my photography skills, is it?

Massanutten Majesties

This is a true "scrap" quilt for me....everything came from my stash.  I dug around in my large backings and found a great piece for the borders, and I've got the backing washed and ready to piece, too.  This was a fun and fast pattern to work up, and I've been wanting to make a "two-color" quilt for a long time.  This baby should be on the quilter this week!

Watching The Masters was good for my hand-work, too.  I finished binding two of my quilts, including "Puzzled in Provence", my top made from my American Jane "Breath of Avignon" fabrics.  Guy quilted it with a lovely paisley pattern, and I even got it washed; it's got a lovely, soft hand to it.  Should be a great "snuggling" quilt.

"Puzzled" in Provence


Here's a close-up of the paisley quilting pattern (although it doesn't show up as well as I'd like):



I may have to try this pattern again; it's all pretty straight piecing, is great for brightly defined fabrics, and looks very crisp and contemporary.  I think it would be a perfect quilt for toddlers and even older kids in the right fabrics.  The pattern came from Kristy at Moda Bake Shop, and the "Masssanutten Majesties" pattern is Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville page  "Scrappy Mountain Majesties". 

I just love the incredible patterns that are available on the Internet and within the blogging community.  I try to make sure I give credit and links when possible, but if I miss something, make sure to let me know, OK?

Today I'm going to take an hour and work on my "Sew Red for Women" April block.  It's not too late to catch up if you're interested; click on the button on my page and you'll find the links to the various designers.

And I've got to make a decision about fabrics for "Celebration" at Smith Mountain Lake at the end of the month.....that's our bi-annual retreat for Virginia Consortium of Quilters.

Just for fun, here's a totally "unquilty" photo.....it was a beautiful weekend here in the Valley...a little cool and windy, but my iris are already up and the lilacs are smelling wonderful.....does anybody know how to keep lilacs fresh in the house?  I love to cut them and bring them in, but the stems are so woody, they wilt within 24 hours....just asking......
 

Have a great day today.....

Kathy

 

 

5 comments:

Chrissy Rooney said...

I love love love the puzzle quilt, reminds me of Zachary. You two are amazing.

Sue Daurio said...

You're two color quilt is amazing. I just love it.

Farm Girl in MD said...

You've been busy! The quilts are beautiful as always :)

Cherie said...

I love the quilt it looks great! =D

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful quilt and your paisley quilting is so neat! I always enjoy seeing what you are working on! Love the photo of the irises too! Thanks for sharing!
Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday