Thursday, April 5, 2012

It's "Masters Week"..and time for a little Golf Story...


I was talking to my friend Tracey the other night, and she told me she needed me to make her another quilt (Tracey probably owns more quilts of mine than any other person).  This time she wants me to make a "golf quilt" for her living room of her and David.  Of course, most people just want a simple "couples photo", but not Tracey.  She is always giving me interesting assignments.

How does she know I can make a golf quilt?  Well, I've already made one for her.  About ten years ago, she commissioned me to make a quilt for her husband, David.  He is an avid golfer, and has been since we first met them over 25 years ago.  Tracey didn't golf much then, but her expertise has improved incredibly. 

Here's the quilt I made for him:


I found the pattern in one of the quilt books I had acquired, and it was fun to design a quilt using materials that mimicked the "old time" golf outfits, complete with "plus fours".  The whole exercise was quite a challenge for me at that time.  I wasn't terribly good at applique then, but I had a lot of fun with the possibilities using textures and fabric gradations for the sky, the grass, the clubs, clothes, bag, etc.  Tracey snuck me a picture of Dave, and I was able to copy it and sew it into the quilt:



Needless to say, he was totally surprised, and I was happy to have made a lovely gift for my friends.  Now Miss Tracey has me at it again......I guess I'm going to have to get to Richmond to get some photos.....she wants them in "contemporary golf outfits" this time....doesn't that sound like a perfect excuse to watch The Masters on TV this week? 

Once you get into this quilting business, you never know where your next idea is coming from......and I was also happy to get home from vacation to find a voice mail asking me for a long-arm quilting quote, and an email from a friend who has a quilt that she wants "little ducks" on......its always fun to have new work to look forward to.

Have a wonderful Easter....I've got to get back in my sewing room and figure out what I was doing when I left.

Kathy

2 comments:

Cherie said...

Love the quilt and the fact you got his picture on it too is genius!
Hope to see those quilts in progress in future posts =D

Chatty Kathy said...

Thanks, Cherie. I was just wandering around thinking about golfing and quilting......had a good vacation and I'm ready to get back to this "serious" quilting business. Where are you located, by the way.....I spent a lot of time reading your blogs from the past weeks last night....."Chatty" Kathy