Saturday, February 11, 2012

What I Did This Week......

This has been an odd week.....finishing some old stuff, and starting a few new things. I have a few "large" quilts in mind to begin, but just didn't seem to have the creative energy to start the cutting process.  I put the borders on my Gulf Stream quilt, but can't decide what to do for the back.  I took some of the scraps left from that quilt, and made a cancer quilt for a friend who will be undergoing extensive chemotherapy over the next several months.  That's quilted, but it needs the binding.


Then I decided to work on the Sew Red for Women Blog Hop.  I went to Burgundy Buttons and downloaded this Chevron Heart pattern by Leah Albertsen:  it finishes to a 12 1/2-inch square, and seemed like just the thing to work on the week before Valentine's Day.  I combed through my stash, and came up with this combination of reds and pinks, plus I had a long strip of white that I decided to use for the background fabric.





I cut out 2" squares and made thirty-six little half-square triangles.  I don't usually work with little measurements, but since I'm taking a Bonnie Hunter class in April, I decided I needed to get in some practice.  The triangle squares look like this:



When you sew them together (in the right order, I might add....ask me how I know), you get a cute litle chevron heart strip:


After I assembled the rows, I sewed them together (and only had to "unsew" once!).  Added the little borders, and ended up with this block:


I even got all my points nice and crisp!  I can't wait to see the March block.  Want to join in?  Click on the button in my sidebar.....you've got lots of time, or go to Leah's blog to download the pattern. 

Off to the showers; red wine beef stew is simmering in the crockpot and I've got an all-day meeting in Harrisonburg.....the house should smell great by the time I get home.
Happy Saturday.....there's a little snow on the ground here, but clear roads.....the best kind of "snow day."

Kathy

1 comment: