Here's the quilt I delivered to James today: It was a difficult quilt to work with. It had been "finished" by a cousin sometime in the seventies, with a mauve border, mauve back, and a big, puffy, polyester batting. But, what an interesting quilt.
|The Finished Product|
|Last picture before I took off the Mauve Borders.|
|Photo of the foundations for the blocks|
|Some of the "unraveled" stitches'|
in the blocks
I took the backing and batting out. I cut down the mauve border. I was left with "grandma's quilt" and what was her vision. I picked a burgundy broadclock cotton back, and burgundy sateen for the borders, and the same for the binding. And then I repaired. And I repaired, and I repaired. Lot's of love went into this quilt, lot's of hand-stitching, and I believe, a little wear. But an order for design was also a part of it.
This quilt was made with love. Each parallelogram was hand-stitched, and stitched into the long columns. The maker made chevrons from the same fabric to bring two columns together. The more I examined the quilt, the more I was intriqued by the ingenuity of the quilter to "make this work." Of course, 70 years after the fact, there were some irregularities and just plain fabric fading to deal with.
But, when I presented the finished product to my client today, I was so proud to know that he understood that I was not preserving, necessarily, a work of art, but a piece of his family's history. I can only be proud to be part of that. Signed, sealed, delivered, I'm yours, James!