Tuesday, March 13, 2012

On my design wall.......

I'm working on a client project this week.  I was given 23 crazy quilt squares and asked if I could assemble them into a quilt.  They are BIG....17 1/2 to 18-1/2 inches.  They are composed of wools, silks, some velvets, some decorator fabrics, and cotton.


Included in the box were yards of this "piano key" border; rectangles backed with muslin:



The squares are all sewn onto a muslin foundation: they are sewn down with a honeycomb embroidery stitch done in yellow Perle Cotton.  All the original basting is still intact, as well:


I'm sure this was intended to be a "utility" quilt, since the stitching is not at all flamboyant, there is no added embroidery other than the "securing" lines, and the fabrics, while attractive, are pretty plain.  Since I'm not constrained by "restoring" this quilt, but rather, assembling it, I decided to go with a narrow, drab sashing that would link the colors together.  I found a Judy Rothermel reproduction fabric in a rich brown, grey and green.  I'm cutting matching muslin sashings to go under the cotton to make sure I keep the "weight" of the top equal:


This is the first row that I've gotten assembled.  Like most projects, this is taking me longer than I thought; I have to remove all the basting stitches, most of which have been "oversewn" with the embroidery.  It's slow going, but actually a not unpleasant, rather mindless task......  My next decision will be how large to make the top; if I do a 4 x 5 layout, with sashing, and add the piano key border, I'm afraid the top is going to be incredibly big and heavy; however, given the size of the squares, if I stick with 4 x 4 or even 3 x 4 and try to make two quilts, I think they'll be too small and out of proportion to the size of the basic blocks. 

Well, I don't have to decide that today, do I?  Just thought I'd share an interesting exercise.  It's intriguing to look at these blocks and think about what the maker might have wanted......they were bought at auction, and, of course, there's no clue as to who might have made them.

It's a gorgeous day here in Virginia; Guy took the tractor out and finished mowing down the weeds in the garden; Tim will be here later this week to till.  Time to think about veggies......have a great day...

Kathy

3 comments:

justducky65 said...

It sounds like an interesting project. A few months ago I purchased 2 crazy quilts made with old wool clothing. The "batting" of the quilts are actually flannel or very thin blankets. The back of one is a wool blanket and the other has a flannel backing. They are both embroidered but one was more finished with more decorative embroidery added to the top. We use the less embellished quilt and it is very heavy; I am guessing about 8 pounds or so. Needless to say, it is very warm.

Have fun with your project. Can't wait to see it finished.

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

I love the blocks and think that the 3x4 or 4x4 might do very nicely after the border you have is added to it....but, as you said, you don't have to decide right now....just see how it looks as it comes along. I am so happy that these blocks that someone took so much time on were rescued!

Chatty Kathy said...

Talked to the client tonight; we decided on a 4x4 construction (frankly, I don't think I want to make ANOTHER quilt out of these). She has daughters-in-law who can accommodate a 92 x 92 quilt. I'm so pleased with how these are coming together. Check back....got 4 rows done today; only need to add 4 blocks (1 for each row). It's a pleasure to work on these things, especially with a client who is cooperative....