Sunday, January 4, 2015

A New Year's Resolution.......For 2015

Well, it's been an entire year since I posted on my blog.  Why?  I can't really explain it.  I had a "fallow season" the first part of 2014, in terms of quilting and sewing.  I couldn't get the creative juices flowing very well, and didn't feel like I had anything to share.

We spent a good part of the first three months traveling.....new experiences, a lot of miles logged on the car, and, of course, good food. Once I got home, I just sort of languished into a period of inactivity on the quilting scene.

A week or so ago, we hosted a good friend and her children for Christmas Eve.  Her younger son expressed a desire to become a writer, to which I chimed in, "Well, start a journal or a blog, and try to write every day."  A warning bell went off in my head when I said that...."hypocrite, when was the last time you sat down and actually wrote something longer than a four-line Facebook post?"

I guess I've let my Facebook connections taken over for my more descriptive expressions of interest, one's that I have shared in the past on my blog.

This is changing.  A 2015 New Year's Resolution.....sit down, take time to think, take some photos, get a point of few, and share it.  It's not really important whether anyone reads it, it's just important to get thoughts organized and let some experiences take bigger shape on the page.

I sat down and reviewed my blogs from 2013 this morning; I had a pretty good time then, getting involved with the larger quilting community, with my inner creative self, and with inputs from "blog" friends.  So...off we go into 2015.  Here are a few pictures from the last few months....the onset of the holidays got my "mojo" working......

This is a paper-pieced stocking, with, of course, the hanging loop on the wrong side!


 Another paper-pieced stocking; these are from Cindie Edgerton's designs, and the "canning jars" quilt is named "Patrick's Garden Bounty".  The fabrics were a gift from a friend right after Patrick died....he was a chef and loved to participate in our garden activities out here on the "farm"....he mostly loved my pickles, salsa, and pickled jalapenos.


 This is another scrap quilt from my "Christmas" box; the pattern is from Bonnie Hunter's great site, Quiltville...it's a scrappy trip around the world....I "controlled" the design by making sure that every red square fell diagonally from left to right.  Just a fun quilt to make....and fast!

The table runner was for a friend's request.  "Autumn colors, six feet long".....I loved using the striped fall fabric, and just bordered it with a few coordinating strips on the end.  She loved it.

And what would New Year's be without another Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt.  Started this in November, the day after Thanksgiving, and got all the individual "clue" pieces finished by January 1st.  The will be "Grand Illusion"......I still have half of the blocks to piece and assemble, and then borders to do, but this will definitely be a January finish. This pattern is also available on Bonnie's Quiltville site......


Now here's a photo to just make you smile.  In the cold of winter, isn't it nice to see the summer geraniums blooming?  I actually managed to get these inside before frost and have kept them thriving.......Have a great day!  Have a wonderful New Year! Talk to you soon.



Kathy

No comments: